Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

PECAN FREEZING AND STORAGE TIPS

This time of year many of us use nuts for all of our holiday baking and pecans seems to be one of the nuts used a lot. I don't use pecans, but I do use walnuts a lot. Hubby just loves walnuts. I think these tips could be used for any nuts (and no....not the "nuts" that are part of your family!!:) ).


Pecan Freezing and Storage Tips

pecans



To maintain the flavor and freshness of pecans:


1.       Transfer shelled pecans to an airtight container or zip lock bag after purchase.



pecan storage

2.      Store in the refrigerator for up to nine months or freeze them for up to two years.


freezer



3.      Pecans can be thawed and refrozen repeatedly without losing flavor or texture.




pecans


4.      Store unshelled pecans in a cool, dry place for three to six months.


So if you use pecans for your baking it looks like you can store them for quite awhile. Maybe I will try this with walnuts too. :)



Happy Baking!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Colleen! Yeah I freeze all my nuts and have just gotten one of those seal vac things from Walmart and am liking that...something had to give because I was starting to get infested by moths, eggs, bugs eating my pantry items, so now I try to freeze stuff to kill those varmints before they hatch and store them the best I can. Blessings, Laura R.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...